Thursday, October 2, 2008

Idle-fitri thoughts

I always used to think that its only the incredible losers who stand in line for hours to shake hands with cabinet members and eat free food at open houses. Similarly, I used to think that politicians only did it to appear beaming and magnanimous.
This year, I've begun to look at it a little differently. Perhaps it's because of the bad news that's been floating around all year. Perhaps it's because of all the racial and religious strife we have been embroiled in. Perhaps it's because we have never seemed more divided than we are here and now.
But, as I watched the people milling around me at the PM's open house in PWTC, I suddenly found it immensely refreshing to see smiles, laughs, goodwill and togetherness in place of spite, mistrust, anger and loathing.
The rakyat seemed happier and the politicians too seem less cagey. Most people, with the exception of the protesting crowd who had an axe to grind, seemed to genuinely want to give out and absord positive vibes on the day, which was as mild and as pleasant as the mood it seemed to engender.
On the street and in cyberspace, Malaysia, for the most part, took a break from its problems for a day or two at least. It was refreshing and in fact, wonderful, to see wishes of peace, goodwill and forgiveness on Facebook status messages instead of the usual curses and rants posted everyday. It was lovely to see the toll booth attendants smile and respond to my Selamat Hari Raya wishes instead of just ignoring me. It was awesome to hear old friends replying my festive greetings, even though the promises and pledges to meet up and connect again rang hollow most of the time.
This is the Malaysia I know. This is the Malaysia I remember. This is the Malaysia I love. But why does it only come out on one, two or three days a year?
Because most of the time, we, led willingly by "leaders" who are only too willing to exploit us, prefer to look at what divides us and at what makes each one of us different from the other. Our days and our lives are poisoned by greed, envy, malice, inconsideration and hate.
I refuse to believe that's who we truly are. Call it naivete, but I sincerely believe that the average Malaysian, the Malaysian on the Len Seng omnibus if you will, is a decent and tolerant person, not a racist, supremacist or bigot.
My Hari Raya wish is for all of us to look for and find that Malaysian within us. Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri. Maaf Zahir Batin.

No comments: