Thursday, September 2, 2010

In Books, I Find Solace

Books are good. They entertain, educate and give me comfort. A book is always there for me. It doesn't judge me or decide it doesn't like me.
A book doesn't irritate me and I can't irritate it. I can't bore a book, though a book can, sometimes, bore me.
My books are my friends. Scratch that. My books are my family. They give me solace in my dark moments. I read my Khalil Gibran, or at times, my Bible, when I need words of wisdom and comfort. I read Calvin and Hobbes or Tintin when I want to laugh or smile.
When I crave tales of adventure or derring-do, I leaf through the glossy pages of my Supermans, Batmans and other costumed crusaders. Or, if I'm feeling more old school, I read my Poirots or gingerly pick through the dog-eared pages of my Robin Hood, written in Old English.
Sometimes, when I feel like a good caper or courtroom thriller, I decide to go for the Jeffrey Archers or John Grishams. And then there are the classics. Harper Lee, JD Salinger, the Johns Irving and Steinbeck.
I have a book for every mood. For when I'm feeling light and breezy or dark and dismal. My books don't let me down.
With a book, familiarity does not breed contempt. And absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.
I know my books will never let me down.

No comments: