Monday, August 18, 2008

R.I.P Kuldeep S. Jessy


Kuldeep Jessy, my good friend, died early today. Born on May 4 1967, he was 41 years old and had been married for five weeks.
I was on vacation in Thailand about to boat across the Mekong River to Laos, when I received news of his fatal heart attack.
As I sat in the boat, no longer caring about the Mekong, the Golden Triangle or Thailand, my thoughts went again and again to his widow, Manjit. Only last month, she was a blushing bride and he a nervous groom. And now he's gone and she's a widow.

It doesn't make sense or seem fair. He was too young and too good to go. I never in my life met a person who didn't like Kuldeep. He was the kind of guy who could make anybody smile with his lawak bodoh, his nasal voice and his puppy dog eyes. He was kind and gentle, and a wonderful friend to have.

He loved Alleycats and teh tarik. He really enjoyed his beer and cigarettes. He used to call his mother Mr. Magoo behind her back and used to tease Manjit incessantly, calling her a praying mantis, among others.

I'm now frantically trying to book a flight back to make it for his funeral on Wednesday. I owe it to him to be there. But part of me does not want to. It's too painful to go back to the same house where we so recently celebrated the happiest day of his life.

It was supposed to have heralded the start of a new life, but instead, he and Manjit have been cheated out of their happily ever after.

He's gone now, forever. We will never have another beer together, we'll never bitch about work together, or cook up any more pranks together.

I love you my friend, and I'll never forget you or stop missing you.

Heaven was made for people like you. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

may your soul rest in peace dearest uncle

-manpreet kaur jessy-